Getting Started

Video of making Shrimp Dumplings: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YfZ6FzT48bwMs0tDwEykUV8g_WudEp2m/view?usp=sharing

I started this week’s Genius Hour by learning about the foods and drinks I am planning to make. I also looked through some recipes and picked a few to try out.

The first food I have made is called “Shrimp Dumplings”. This common dim sum food has translucent skin that, through research, I figured out many things can go easily wrong with. The recipe I used “https://redhousespice.com/har-gow-crystal-prawn-dumplings/”.

I am unsure of how many types of food and drink I will have time to make, but I estimate it will be 2-3 dishes and 1-2 beverages. I have figured out two of the possible three foods I will be creating: tempura and shrimp dumplings. The two drinks I will be concocting will both be bubble tea, one being Brown Sugar Milk Tea and the other to be determined.

Shrimp Dumplings:

Har Gow Chinese Shrimp Dumplings - All Ways Delicious

My First time making shrimp dumplings:

Ingredients:

• Shrimp
  • Green oinion
  • Oinion
  • Wheat Starch
  • Salt
  • Cooking Oil
  • Sugar
  • Sesame Oil
  • Corn Starch

Conclusion:

In conclusion, I have learned many things that I will change for the next time I make this cuisine. The things I have learned are:

1. I have to add something that will give the filling more taste. After some research I have figured out that bamboo shoots are exceptionally good giving flavour and crunchiness to foods.
  2. Making the shrimp dumplings without the dough getting dry is the best way to keep the shrimp dumplings from breaking. To get the dough not dry I just have to make the shrimp dumplings quicker which will require lots of practice
  3. I figured out that if you add tapioca starch the dough will stick together more. This will help with out problem with the dough breaking while being steamed

One Comment Add yours

1. peytonott22 says:

Well, Taran, you tried. I liked the video you made on the shrimp dumplings! Yeah, first attempts don’t always work out. Showing the failed attempt is practice. Your siblings are HARD on you. Don’t worry, first tries aren’t always perfect. Good luck on those “wontons”!