The Breakthrough

Video of the second attempt of making brown sugar milk tea: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1He4S8QmhW-DIlg2P56PSBl8FVORhm1qb/view?usp=sharing

After the meeting with my expert, I was very eager to try out the new recipe and techniques she gave me. This week, I had to perfect my brown sugar milk tea to stay on track. If you watched the video, you know that the procedure Bella showed me was helpful.

First, I had to make the tapioca balls, but in the absence of black food coloring, I had some fun and used red. The tapioca balls turned out fabulous, but next time I’m not going to add any food coloring because the red didn’t turn out as I thought it would. When I finished making the drink, some of the tapioca balls got stuck and didn’t go through the straw. This means that I have to make the tapioca balls smaller for next time.

Second, I had to make the black tea, milk blended with ice, and the brown sugar syrup. I made the black tea and milk blended with ice with ease since Bella told me the amount I should use, but the brown sugar syrup was more challenging. I thought the brown sugar syrup was going to be straightforward due to its simple ingridents, but to my surprise, it hardened rapidly after being taken off the burner. As a result, the brown sugar syrup didn’t mix in with the rest of the drink. I think I boiled the mixture for too long, causing the water to evaporate and the brown sugar to harden. Next week, I will aim to not boil the brown sugar syrup for so long.

This week, my brown sugar milk tea actually tasted authentic. I think that I can definitely perfect this drink by next week.

Things I need to improve for next week:

1. Don’t put food coloring in the tapioca balls.
  2. Don’t boil the brown sugar syrup for so long.
  3. Make the tapioca balls smaller so they can fit through the straw.